View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Thanks, Zartor for the explanation. Would that detonation not have destroyed the capsule?

@ HMCS: Gus has mainly become a legend because of his untimely death. But he was one of the best if not thee best of the Original Seven. Deke Slayton wrote in his autobiography he would have almost certainly picked Gus for the first moon landing. Then Gus Grissom would have been THE name instead of Neil Armstrong. That kind of a pilot was Gus. Everything but a pudknocker. Or a hatchblower. After the recovery of Liberty Bell evidence was clear: Gus never even touched the hatch release button.

On with the diorama. First I did some more work on the base. Ultramarine acrylic artist's paint with a dab of Tamiya flat black in it. It immediately started to live. I left some of the wave heads white. After a superficial drying period of an hour or three, four, I started to add some rotorwash underlayer. Over this paint layer the transparent acrylic stuff will be added. it looks quite good already but I am really looking forward to the top layer.

Then Liberty Bell itself. I started with cutting out the hatch. That was a hard thing to do, because the edge of the hatch was also the glue edge of the capsule part. Then I started the interior. I am afraid you won't see anything of it. Well, the hatch is open so you got to be able to take a look inside. I made a small couch and some 'shelves' on either side. I tried to give the impression of the instrument panel which is easy to spot when the hatch is open. A small piece of the panel is put in the capsule. The tunnel part is opened. I made a landing bag from thinner coloured paper. its structure is a bit rougher, looser fibres so it wrinkles nicely. I tested it on the waves. It looks quite like I want it to be in the end.
Now it's almost time to start Hunt Club 1! That might be something for the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-05.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-06.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-base-08.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-02.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-03.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-04.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-05.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-06.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-07.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-merc-08.jpg  

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 10-10-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: I added some text.