View Single Post

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Soesterberg was very nice, too. Never been there before and the two halls are packed with great aircraft. The halls are relatively small and that has its advantages; it's cosy. But the lighting is minimal. Only spotlights. Baaaaaad for photos! (see first pic) They had a lot of old jets, including some rare ones. They also had a Sikorsky UH-34 so I could take a closer look. The nose of the helicopter is nowhere smoother than mine in 1/96th! haha!

Billy's astronaut is indeed very impressive. Bigger than I thought, lighter than I expected. The 1/33 X-15, SR-71 and B-58 Hustler he brought along are pieces of art, too. Huge and very detailed. We had a nice chat. really nice to meet people you share a hobby with. I also met forum member Diederick den Bakker of Zeist Bouwplaten, who shared some tables with Billy. His fantasy SF-rockets, including a magnificent Tintin rocket in about 1/144 and the Saturn shuttle of Wernher von Braun, were beautiful and very clean builds. Nice to meet two craftsmen of the paper model trade.
People were amazed to find out the models were completely out of paper. (there was a lot of other scale modeling in the halls, wood and plastic, too.)
To remain a bit off topic, here are some of the "better" pictures of the meeting. PK's not present in the pics, since I had to take them but you'll be able to see Billy. (I forgot to take one of Diederick...) The planes (including that beautiful Trimotor) were on another table next to Billy's and Diederick's.)
Attached Thumbnails
Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-dark-stuffed-planes.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-neil-en-b58.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-neil.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-neils-umbilicals.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-neils-camera.jpg  

Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-planes.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-trimotor-1.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-trimotor-2.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-trimotor-3.jpg   Liberty Bell 7, Gus, Hunt Club and the Atlantic - 1/96-billy.jpg