View Single Post

Old 11-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72

Here we have the Crosby CR 4 racing plane by Fiddler's Green. To keep the model in line with my other airplanes, I reduced it at printing to 1/72 scale. This makes for a very small model with a wing span of only 2 11/16 inches (note photo 1). The model is marketed by FG as the CR 3 but as designed, it really isn't a replica of either the CR 3 or the CR 4. It has attributes of both, making it sort of a CR 3.5 . Modifications to the model to make it more accurate include blackening the #52s on the fuselage, the addition of the Aero ITI logo to the tail (correct for 1938), and affixing a full bubble canopy made from card stock, painted with acrylics, and finished with a few applications of brush on glosscoat. Using Photoshop, I recolored the "inside" of the landing gear bays zinc chromate green. A pitot tube, tail skid, and fuel tank vent complete the model.

Despite being plagued with mechanical problems, Harry Crosby's racers had great potential and were way ahead of their time, featuring all aluminum construction at a time when many of his competitors were flying airplanes built primarily of plywood and canvas. The remains of the CR 4 were located in 1990 on private property in North Carolina, dangerously close to being sold as scrap metal. Some parts were stored in an old school bus, and others were just discarded in the woods. Happily, the airplane has now been restored for static display. A fascinating article and additional pictures can be found here The 1938 Crosby CR-4 racer

This is the first airplane model I have built that wasn't armed with machine guns, and I really enjoyed it. I've ordered a bunch more 1930's racers (FG and Daisey Designs), and look forward to starting the next one soon.

Pictures are of the usual poor quality - my apologies. I ran out of ink, but I'll soon have this baby mounted on a base, and will update then with a final few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72-crosbycr44.jpg   1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72-crosbycr42.jpg   1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72-crosbycr41.jpg   1938 Crosby Cr 4, 1/72-crosbycr4-3.jpg