View Single Post

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Shipyard's HMS Bellona

Hi everyone,

After picking everyone's brain in another thread and after a kind suggestion to create a build thread, here it is...Shipyards's HMS Bellona in 1:96. Unfortunately I didn't have much of a camera at the time of the initial framing so we can just skip over the awful pics from that time. Bulkheads are bulkheads as long as they are kept nice and straight Please keep in mind that this is my first ship model. Be nice! (Just kidding...lay it on!!)

The following images of the lower hull show a deviation from Shipyard's plan as I found Doris' re-skin of her Bellona and learned a ton! Have a look here
ModelForum • Zobrazit téma - HMS BELLONA - remake / Shipyard /1:96

Doris abandoned Shipyard's shaped strips of 1mm card for her own. I changed it up again and did the entire hull in 1/4 inch strips of 1mm card. Doing it this way allowed me to round out the hull a bit where it was needed and hopefully eliminated some of the flat spots inherent with the original method. If you're going to attempt this method, don't try to force the strips to curve where they won't. Following the natural lines and curves of the bulkheads works like a charm! Everything was glued with CA and then given a coat of polyurethane to seal everything in place. Next step is a good sanding and a bit of filling. Luckily no filling was needed this far (knock on wood!). What's really neat is how solid it all is after the glue and urethane set. If I can get this to look even 1/10th as beautiful as Doris' Bellona, I'll be happy! Oh yeah...one needs to add the remainder of the keel...

The last image is of the stuff I can't wait to use. These are 3/16 and 1/8 inch strips of cherry veneer which are going to cover the hull. Maple strips will cover the decks. I know it strays from paper a bit but I'm a modeler looking to build a beautiful representation of a ship and not a purist. Do you pro's recommend completing the lower hull and moving on or doing all the rough work and then the finish veneer? My thinking was to complete it up to the gun ports and then flip it upright and continue on...

More to come!
Ron