View Single Post

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Planking HMS Bellona

Having made the mistake on my first plank on bulkhead model, I would like to offer some advice before you attempt the second layer of planking. The planking of a hull was actually a very complex affair which I would advise you to do some serious research on. If you look at the hull planking in "The Anatomy of the Ship - HMS Bellona" you will see that particularly the upper levels of planking are very complex and whether you decide to recreate that is up to you. However the planking below the main wale is where most modellers go wrong. Basically, there should be the same number of planks for the full length of the hull at each frame. Now the girth measured round the outside of the frame will be different at each frame and therefore the width of the planks will differ equally. Try to get hold of "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" by Donald Dressel. Similarly, there is a definite pattern in the positioning of the joints in the length of the planks to avoid weaknesses because of joints being too close to one another.

The main thing that shows up the problem on your model is the long narrow oval left against the keel. In fact the plank nearest the keel, called the garboard strakeshould be one piece running smoothly from stem to stern.

All that said, you have a superbly shaped hull structure, beautifully faired.

I look forward to seeing the project continue

Brian