View Single Post

Old 11-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkrauzlis View Post
Hi, Inky!

Looking real nice!

On this one, those radome are so round that it is difficult to replicate them in paper at that size...I have seen (and used) small beads to represent spherical structures, but have also seen designers use a long strip with a deminishing width along the length so that when rolled up it comes close to making a sphere, the widest part of the strip being the middle, the narrowest being the outside edge of th sphere. Hope that explanation clear enought to give you an idea of what I am talking about...

Just curious, what is the method you used to design hull shapes? I have followed Wilfrieds wonderful tutorial a while back and have a dormant project for a 1960's-ish merchant ship in my files using his method, but was wondering how you tackled the initial shapes.

Thank you Jim. I figured with you being a ship lover you would be the first to post on this.

I do understand your explanation on making sphere's and that is a great idea, I will have to remember that. I did decide to use 6mm plastic bb's and some other art beads I have.

As for the design of the hull, for the front bow I mainly copied the design of Schreiber-Bogen's, "Meteor". I found it to be pretty close to what I was looking for. I went through allot of model designs looking at the hulls to get ideas. As for all the rest I am just going by trial and error.