View Single Post

Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
SD 14 cargo ship

I got this marvellous model as a birthday, Christmas present in 2007 and have been building it on and off at weekends. Since then. So I thought I would post some pictures of the build here.
ok some info the model was designed and illustrated by Capt G.B. Robinson and is sold under licence by Marcle models http://www.marcle.co.uk it costs £280 oversee orders £310 for the complete model the individual sections forward midships and after each cost £105 overseas £120 the scale is 1:70 and is about 7 feet in length link for railing is http://zeistbouwplaten.nl
The model comes in three sections bow middle and Stern of the ship, each section consists of two boxes of A3 Manila card with the printed parts on them, and the instructions for that section.

The model builds the basic steel structure for British registered version of the ship. So extras like propellers, anchors, engine and engine room machinery are not included.

The designer of the model made it as a teaching aid for cadets and firefighters, so you build the model as if it was a real ship.with the cardboard taking the place of steel sheet and it gives you an insight into the structure of ships.

I decided not to build it with cutaway portions and that I would add an engine and add in oil and water tanks and workshops and provision stores on the engineering flats and the engine room shelter deck's.

SD14 stands for shelter deck and the 14 is the 14,000 ton displacement of the ship, shelter deck is a secondary deck inside of the forward part of the hull.
the good reference book that shows all the ships made and their history is SD14 the full history by John Lingwood. isbn 1-901703-64-9. It also contains a reproduction of a general arrangement drawing of one of the ships.
I started off with the intention of making each section in turn from the bow but then changed it to making the ship completely in one go from bow to stern as I thought it would be easier to build not having to worry about damaging the finished bow section while building the midsection, especially when it came to putting the hull plates on as it need to be turned on its side and the top.
I started off building the model on an inch thick piece of ply the looked flat but it wasn't and I ended up with a banana boat well just the bottom. I then got some MDF with some strips screwed to the underside to keep it flat and then made sure it was level on top of a planning chest strip of MDF is about 14 inches wide by 8 feet long gives a little bit of room to manoeuvre the model on.
Also handy is in metre rule just check the model is flat. I used to separate table to cut out the parts,a 50 cm rule is also useful to cut out some parts as they are longer than a foot.
Sorry to the mix of measurements but I am dyslexic and started school when metric was introduced in the UK. That's enough text to now go the first group of pictures of the start of the bow bottom.
the pictures show the buildup of the double bottomed Hull under number one hold and part of number two hold, the double bottomed Hull is split into separate tanks, port centre and starboard and are used as ballast tanks to trim the ship.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-1small.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-3small.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-4small.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-6small.jpg   SD 14 cargo ship-7small.jpg