View Single Post

Old 11-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
A bit of history first i am actually painting the hull at the moment and was just checking, I'd got my heights right for the hull painting and remembered this picture in the book . The caption reads a 1978 view of Austin and Pickersgill's Southwick shipyard the ship at the fitting out berth in the left foreground is Cluden and to the right of the fitting out quay are the fitting out workshops. To the right of these is a steel stockyard with another larger stockyard further to the right. The paler coloured sheds right on the River in the centre of the picture are the fabrication and erecting shops built-in 1976; the darker sheds inland date from the laying out of the new yard in 1955 . The sd14 on the far bank of the river wear is believed to be the Australind fitting out at the pallion quay, the former shorts Bros quay which was acquired by Bartram's in the 1960 on the conventional berths on the north bank the grey hulled aegira is almost ready to be launched, with the Funing in the early stages of construction alongside. beyond them are the covered building birth,Stern section and block assembly Hall dating from 1975.
In 1978 . This shipyard was arguably the most up-to-date shipyard in the world at the time but destined to operate but only another 10 years before government policies dictated the end of large-scale merchant shipbuilding in Britain and the site was quickly razed to the ground. Shows what nationalisation can do to an industry.
Attached Thumbnails
SD 14 cargo ship-shipyard.jpg