Thread: Parc Güell
View Single Post

Old 12-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for sharing your photos and work. Although my main architectural interest is Gothic, I do like all of the many Gaudi's buildings that we visited. We were in Baracelona for a week in 2009. You can read about our adventures on my web page www.cathedralquest.com . Click on Spain 2009 and look for the Baracelona days (actually we were there twice on the same trip...we liked it so much).

I was interested in your Park Guell model. I note it was published by Papeti. I have the Park Guell model published by Papeti. I have not made it yet. Mine seems to be very different from yours. It is of the whole park. Yours seems to be of just the one building as indicated by the base part # 1. My base is for the entire park and covers a whole page. The numbers are also different. Your #2 is #38 on my sheet. In fact the sheet is rather different, many of the same parts, but they are numbered on the tabs plus there are numbers where pieces are to be glued. There an extensive directions in four different lanuages including English plus a whole page of diagrams. The model that you made looks very good. I would like to know more about your model.

I note in your photo that you also had a Papeti kit of Gaudi's Mila (or also known as La Pedrera de Gaudi). I have Pedrera by Merino. I haven't made that one yet either. I am presently working of El Pilar in Saragossa. It is a Merino model with 25 domes in various sizes. It is taking a long time. Some of the tops of the smaller domes bearly fit over the tip of my little finger...that is small.

I also have Sagrada Familia, which is a Domus kit. It is hard to find Domus kits now. There are several good Sagrada Familia kits on the market including a free down load by Canon which several folk have shared on papemodelers.com. I had built my model before going to Barcelona. I took closeup photos of the model with me to compare to the "real thing". I have 100's of photos of the inside and out. I hope to live long enough to see it completed. I am 73 now and if it takes 20 years as they predict, I am be too old to travel.

The three buildings that you and I have seem to be the only models of buildings in Barcelona that are published as kits. If anyone knows about others, I sure would love to have them.

I note that you have only been a member of papermodelers for two months. Welcome. It is a fun webpage although those of us who make architectural models seem to be outnumbered by models that have wings, sails, treads, and wheels and other devices that make them move. I enjoy looking at these also but there is not enough time to make every papermodel on the market. One papermodeler recently wrote me that he had enough kits to make that if he made one a month it would take him 11 years. It will only take me 5 years to make all the new kits that I have!

Please keep us posted on your "City of Light"...it sounds fascinating.
Thomas