View Single Post

Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Thank you very much, Adam, your description is very clear...I appreciate the reason for using CA on the formers to give you a stronger basis for this technique. In some way this is similar to a double planking method on a wooden ship build, except you use foam rather than a first layer of rough planking...of course using foam on a complex curved form such as the submarine hull makes more sense given the surfaces you are working with. We also used a very thin plaster like coating which was then sanded smooth when dry, eliminating cracks and imperfections before applying the final surface, whether it be another layer of wooden planking or cooper plates.

I look forward to seeing your futher updates to see how you work the foam further with the plaster surface coat to create a smooth surface...do you then apply a finish coat of paint or do you then use the hull plating from the kit?

I like the visual by using the term "cow's ribs" ... we have seen this on real ships, caused by the buffeting effect of the sea against the steel hull plating, but I have to admit I have never seen this on the sides of submarines.

Thank you again for taking the time to explain this technique, I do appreciate it very much!

Cheers!
Jim