View Single Post

Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
International Space Station 1:50

Hell everyone!

I want to introduce my self:
My name is Robert, I'm from Austria, living near our beautiful Vienna.
I am very interested in spacefaring so it is of no wonder that I'm trying to add a new toy to my flat: a 1:50 ISS Diorama.

I read a lot of your articles for weeks - guys you are great!
So many ideas an passionism in here... thats motivating.

But as I tried the first model from axm - Soyuz for starters - I found that even the 1:100 scale is too small for me.
That has several reasons:
1st) My fingers get too clammy when trying to build the periscope. The cube with 1mm edge is terrifying - even when I tried with a tweezer!
2nd) The result was a tiny little Soyuz ship (nice textures!!!), but when I put it at display on my bookshelf... well, I wanted more.
3rd) I am generally addicted to megalomania

So, when I figured out the dimensions of a 1:100 ISS, the whole thing would be about one meter length, and approx. half a meter width/depth.
Thats a nice thing, but where these should be hung up - there is more space left!

A two meter - one/one meter scaled replica would fit perfectly
So, with the greatest respect to the meant purpose of the 1:100 scale models from axm,
I doubled the prints in size and began constructing - guess what - a Soyuz again.

Now I passed the periscope, the space ship looks great (and my delusions of grandeur are satisfied).
So I've got my trip to the station, which I will build up in the time coming.

At first I wanted to build it step by step, as it was done in the different configurations through build-up, but that would be more work in reconfiguration that in constructing the station.
So, I want to build the whole thing as it is in the configuartion of today.

Greetings,
Robert

Astro-Blog - Robert's Astronomie-Seite