View Single Post

Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Early SF, MON Space Station

I the '50ties (and perhaps early '60ties) MON, the Polish Ministry of Defense, published a number of paper models, among them two SF models. Very rare now, so it was a very pleasant surprise when one of the customers of my internet shop (www.zeistbouwplaten.nl) allowed me to borrow and make scans of both of them: a Spaceship, and this 'Wielky "Stuczny Ksiezyc" Stacja Kosmiczna' (literally: large 'Artificial Moon' space station).
This fantasy model has obviously been inspired by the ideas of Wernher von Braun, his illustrator Chesley Bonestell and the Walt Disney TV documentaries 'Man in Space' (for a short introduction, see page 'Early SF' on my website - and Google).
The original MON models are a bit bigger than A4, so I scaled it down slightly. There are several pages of instructions in Polish, but fortunately also a few b/w photographs with part numbers. It is not a complicated model, so I don't expect too many puzzles.
The first stage was easy - the skeleton for the main wheel, as shown in the picture. It is lying on top of the cover illustration of the original publication.
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF, MON Space Station-mon-spacestation-1.jpg