View Single Post

Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Actually it wasn't that sneaky at all and was well-discussed and debated before enactment. It is nowhere in the same class as SOPA...

It is also rather irrelevant to this discussion which is not about material that has always been in the public domain or which reasonably could be construed to now be in the public domain. It is about where paper models that have been out of print for some decades can be considered public domain in the light of the policy of this and most other respectable paper modelling forums. The MON models were originally developed and published by the Polish Defence Ministry (as are Maly Modelarz) which, regardless of ideology, still exists today - thus any argument that the copyright owner no longer exists or has died are probably somewhat moot, such being the typical argument in such cases.

If, such models are considered reasonably to now be part of the public domain, then we probably need to establish some guidelines as to when in time this point is reached. At the moment, the assumption seems to be that if the model id out-or-print and the publisher no longer trading, then its products are fair game which opens up a whole raft of new models for us to hook into...

Please, don't gte me wrong: I'd love to be able to build the Mon line as A think that they are great models from their time BUT I think that we have to be very careful in just accepting arguments that are convenient and disregarding those that are not.