View Single Post

Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
While we were getting this point cleared up, I have continued the construction. As compared to the very sophisticated Cosmostrator I did recently this is very simple indeed - obviously aimed at children rather than serious modellers. Large and uncomplicated! For instance: the segments of the ring are intended to simply fit (more or less) against each other, no tabs provided. After gluing six of them in place, a discrepancy began to build up - so from that point onwards I added them alternatingly, so that any more fitting problems would at least be spread around the rest of the circumference. Also, I squeezed some white glue into the larger seams - thus giving the whole ring a bit more stiffness.
The picture shows the ring, the solar energy collector and part of the central construction. This last bit is taking some time to figure out - I only have the alphabetical order of the parts to go on, and a few very fuzzy pictures.
However simple, I am enjoying the build - I like to imagine the way people thought about the future, back in the '50ties. And a 'behind-the-iron-curtain' model like this also shows that even though people in countries like Poland and Russia were allowed little or no information from, or contact with the West, some of them had a very shrewd idea of what was going on there. But of course the text never mentions their indebtedness to Von Braun and Bonestell / Walt Disney...
Attached Thumbnails
Early SF, MON Space Station-mon-spacestation-2.jpg