Thread: clean PVA glue!
View Single Post

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Hey Don, what PVA do you use? If you use Aleene's Tacky, let me know how it flows through that tip. Also, if you happen to have a caliper/micrometer, can you let us know the diameter of the tip? I recognize how they built it - that's the tip to a metal mechanical pencil, and I tried to build my own the other day by scavenging a pencil tip and attaching it to the top of an Aleene's Tacky bottle, but it was only a 0.5mm pencil tip and I had to apply too much pressure to the bottle to get it to come out - I couldn't apply it in a controlled manner. It would probably work OK with a thinner glue like Elmer's but I prefer the lower-water-content of Aleene's.

I can also highly recommend spraying the model with Krylon Preserve It! (Matte or Gloss) before building. It makes a huge difference in how easily excess glue cleans off, and more importantly it prevents the ink from running under such glue spots. Every single time I build a kit without spraying the pages first (like my recent FG F-4 Phantom), I get a spot somewhere on it from excess glue or a water droplet or something. Never gotten one on my sealed pages. I have a thread on spray sealing in the Tips and Tricks section, check it out for a further discussion.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds