View Single Post

Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Ray -- In the origami world, we call that an origami rock. Very well known model. And, no, "Raven God" did not suffer that fate (yet), though an earlier attempt that I'd been saving for reference got savaged a little more than necessary on its way to the recycling bin.

To the rest of you, many thanks for the sympathy and good advice. And, in fact, per Legion's advice, while waiting for a tricky glue joint to dry, I did knock out a nice little vintage model from Toto's site ("Poitou" from Jan. 9, 2012), and that was pleasant. It would look nice in a shadow box.

As for "Raven God," it doesn't LOOK too bad. It basically looks like the pic that Rick so kindly posted for me. (I tried to take a picure, but between bad light, a crummy camera, and my general ineptitude with photographic equipment, it would not have added anything to the discussion.) The problem that I'm so frustrated by is in the area where the upper and lower torso and legs all join together. Somehow, they just don't mate up. I could probably diagnose it by printing four pieces (two legs plus the two torso pieces), and omitting the bajillion feathers that obscure the view (and, mercifully, kinda hide the disaster area). The thing is, though, that the model would have to be started over from scratch, which would take a couple more months. I mean, it's actually finished -- it's just wrong.

At this point, I think my best bet is to bring it to the Convention for a post-mortem. Those of us who attend can gather around and trade woeful stories. I'm going to rebuild my confidence on some quicker and less challenging models before facing "Raven God" again.