View Single Post

Old 02-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Without hijacking the thread, Stout was an aircraft designer (Stout Metal Airplane Co in Detroit) that designed the Ford Tri-Motor. This was his attempt to apply aircraft design to cars using a Ford V8 rear mounted. The general agreed figure is 6 were build over several years.
You brought the Scarab in and, all of a sudden, it became obvious! Car designers of the days were not only looking at other cars, but at airplanes, even before the jet era! Images ran through my head from that moment on and we are fortunate enough to have a retired USAF Major on the team who can tell us which planes designers of the days would have look at... Curtiss P40? Hawker Hurricane? SuperMarine Spitfire? Or was it too soon for these planes in '37-'38? Mjr Davenport should be able to tell us.

The concept is taking form and I have a picture in my head and made a quick sketch of the rear section based on all the ideas submitted so far. Fender mounted spare, streamlined design, fender skirt, a small tailfin on the decklid that serves as a taillight, whitewalls... The Cord 812 chassis and dimensions/proportions (more or less) seem to be a good starting point. I will do a few sketchs for the front this week-end. I do not forget the rumble seat idea, I can figure two versions of a same car. Let me know what you think!

Cami
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Style Car-vintage-project-sketch-1-colored-copie.jpg