View Single Post

Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Finished!

Well, today I did the rest. First all the instrument packs around the hexagon. I used Yogi's boxes as a template and put foil around them. Next the four small crane-like structures on the hexagon for keeping the solar panels up in the launch phase. In a lot of pictures I saw some kind of wires from these "cranes" to the arrays, so I decided to do that too. I think it was part of the system to lower them - close to the main bus there are pusher pistons (spring induced) to push the PVA's down and the wires keep them perpendicular to the body while the probe was still attached to the Agena. At least that's what I think.

The PVA's themselves came out very nice, too. The tubing structure underneath the hexagon was a little tricky but I managed to get it just about right. The PVA's went on without any problem and then I started carefully cutting out the HGA. I used the dry wall tape again for the mesh structure of the dish. It is a bit crude compared to the fine mesh the original has but it shows the suggestion of it.

Then it was adding those aforementioned wires to the "cranes" and the PVA's. (stiffened wire with CA and cut in the desired length) The diorama display already was made when I was doing the paper maché work on the Sno Cat (found in the Civilian Wheels forum here) while I had no idea yet what to put above it. (-; I had loads of paper maché left from that project so I moulded some literally out of this world landscapes for forthcoming stuff.

What else is there to say than that I hope you enjoy the result! Thanks to Yogi for the basic shapes I could do a fairly decent job on this little shiny winged organ pipe.
Attached Thumbnails
Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-11.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-12.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-13.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-14.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-15.jpg  

Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-16.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-17.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-18.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-19.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-20.jpg  

Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-21.jpg   Ranger 7's last moments-ranger-7-22.jpg