Thread: Upcoming models
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Smile Halifax Fuselage, forced contouring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Are you sure? The 3-views and images of the Halifax I found showed a squared oval fuselage covered in fabric. This think looks to have a round metallic fuselage. Halifax Fuse= 0 , Reindeer Fuse= O .
To be honest, Aaron, I am reasonably sure it is a Halifax fuselage.

The next most likely candidate fuselage would be an Ambassador, which is O compared to the Halifax's 0 but the Ambassador would not be showing the signs of forced contouring that the pictured example shows at both empennage and cockpit bulkhead/fuselage join.

The empennage has been mounted in the rear turret cage of the Halifax fuselage.
Then light alloy or lead foil has been shaped to fit and contour the 0 of the Halifax.

With the cockpit, a little more care has been taken, but the same signs of forced contouring covered by lead foil are still present.
I'd think the Halifax fuselage was itself thereafter padded-out a little by lead foil over putty, to give a more nearly O shape than would otherwise be apparent. Studio model makers often employed such dodges, which they had in turn learned from car design studios.

The engine nacelles appear to have been from an Ambassador, which is no surprise, as on the real Ambassador those nacelle contours were at different times themselves scale miniatures of those employed in both the Brabazon and the Saro Princess.
Thus, the nacelles are much less of a worry. Almost anything the right shape will suffice.

I hope this helps Aaron.

Kind and Respectful Regards Aaron my friend, Uyraell.