View Single Post

Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Making Progress...,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyduchene View Post
Gil, I have been lurking and wondering. I for one am interested in building this boat. Visited Maine in November and spent a morning in Stonington photographing lobster boats in the rain.

Will this become a paper model? Your graphic work is "suitable for framing".

John
Hi John,

I have a bad habit of losing interest in project for a number of reasons. I've reached an interesting point with the Maine Lobster Boat which is now fairly complete as a surface model. I've now have to decide whether to make it more exact to scale [harder to build] or just make a simple paper model. I tend toward the more complex scale model and to try things that others would in their right mind never try. Usually the right minders win but the learning experience is often more than recompense.

I'm leaning toward a 1950's early 60's for the Fleur equipped with old style slat pots. The boat will be planked with a semi-viewable internal framework. The style hasn't changed all that much so the basic model can be modified to fit a wide period of application.

I'd like to see some of your lobster boat pictures if that's all right with you. The crabbers in the Bay Area use a totally different rig than those in the Maine fishery. Images on the web aren't all that great as compared to other modeling discipline walk-around so any taken by a modeler is manna from heaven.

I'm thinking about a self assembling frame/planked hull that might be a little tricky. Still figuring out a doable assembly sequence. Below shows the idea of a quad surface frame to plank geometry. Glad you like the artwork - I think it adds a certain panache to the project...,

Best, +Gil