Thread: Osprey
View Single Post

Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Osprey

Every now and again we see a building report, or just a few pictures, of one of the most beautiful models ever - the completely lifelike and lifesize Merlin by Malcolm Todd, Birdmobile England. I started my internet shop ten years ago importing his models to Holland and sold them via numerous Birdlife and Nature reserve shops - and even after over 30 builds (for display in these shops) it is still a joy to see the bird taking shape under one's hands.
There are eight other models, all lifesize: robin, woodpecker, nuthatch, grey wagtail, swallow, kingfisher, little owl - and osprey. More pictures on my New Photo Collection: Flickr: Den Bakker's Photostream (I am planning to make new, hopefully better pictures presently).
The Osprey is the absolute top model in the series. At nearly two meters wingspan (well over six feet) it is next to impossible to make a good photograph - there is always a disturbing background. So a few years ago my wife and I decided on an experiment. The model in the pictures was nearly twenty years old (and no discoloration worth speaking of!), had had a few falls, and was so dusty that I decided to treat myself to building a new copy. (The construction is so clever that it really is a treat to build this model, or the other ones, for that matter). So we had this photo session. The model was launched several times from the balcony, and came gliding down so smoothly that we could repeat the process several times to be certain of good pictures. The only thing missing here is the brown trout, printed on glossy paper, that is part of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Osprey-smelleken-valkje-.jpg   Osprey-zwaluw.jpg   Osprey-osprey-1.jpg   Osprey-osprey-2.jpg  

Last edited by Diderick A. den Bakker; 02-22-2012 at 10:24 AM.