View Single Post

Old 02-24-2012, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Cleaning Stainless Steel Rods

I bought two different stainless steel rods at my LHS a good two weeks back and they've significantly helped me in achieving very smooth curves. I've tried using wooden dowels, but the results with stainless steel succeed that of the dowels.

However, the stainless steel seems, for lack of a better word, dirty. I believe it's a coating around it, perhaps grease (?), but I've noticed that a rather sludgy, graphite colored residue smudging the paper and any substance that comes in contact with the rods.

I'm taking a metals class this year, and I remember when I used wire to make a project, it was covered in a substance similar to the rods I purchased. I used a steel wool patch to clean the wires.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is it advisable to use steel wool to clean stainless steel rods? Moreso, what is the correct method of cleaning stainless steel rods? I've tried leaving them in a basin of lukewarm + detergent for a day, and I've yet to see improvements. I've tried using successively higher grits of sandpaper, and it seems to be working, though, only at a really slow pace.