Thread: Hi from Holland
View Single Post

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi from Holland

Hi all,

I just recently discovered papermodeling and am looking forward to be able to make such beautiful models as I have seen on several calleries on this site.

As a kid I used to make all sorts of plastic and balsa wooden models (mostly airplanes of the WW-II era) but after I left home to go to college I somehow stopped. Playing guitar and kayaking took over I guess. The kayaking and canoeing stayed btw as I like to paddle longish distances (20k) in a race kayak, kinda like jogging in a kayak.

Now my kids are getting near the age I got into modeling myself I started to look around for ways to get them introduced. Enter paper models :-) The only drawback is that I like it so much that I seem to have discovered a new hobby ;-)

Currently I am working on my first paper model, a Fiddlers Green model of the Hawker Huricane MK1. I know I make a lot of mistakes but that is the only way to learn, right? The good thing about card modeling is that one can easily make another print and start over again. That is a lot harder with a plastic or wooden kit.

Although my birthday is still a few months away I have already figured what I would like to have. Earlier this week I found a few shops where I can order papermodels of the WW-II era Fokker airplanes (G-1, D-XXI, T-V etc.). If anyone know of other paper models of Dutch airplanes from the pre/early WW-II era such as Koolhoven (FK85 and FK56) and Fokker airplanes (like the D-XVII biplane) I'd be very happy to hear about them. Who knows, perhaps I'll learn to draw them myself one day.

Cheers,

Michiel