View Single Post

Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It IS a lovely build! Some of us get all excited by the minutiae, and then we--irritate the rest of you perfectly normal lot. Sorry.

Yes. Y, the "S" is the overall insignia for Jg26, and the griffon--more specifically "Hollenhund"--is the 9. Staffel emblem, so it wouldn't be on Galland's aircraft.
The reason I originally questioned this aircraft is, those tailboom markings are necessarily real exclusive--they're how other pilots identify you in action, and in a battle you need to know who's who so you know where to go & what to do. Your group commander, the squadron commander--different guys will form up for each in different ways. So the ID markings don't shift around.

Colors, though, sometimes shift around.
Like nose colors, in this period and before--there was a period when RLM thought it'd be a good idea to keep the enemy on their toes by changing the color codes of the invading aircraft. So, almost weekly, the command would come down for a particular unit to have white noses, then yellow, or blue or--and finally, the ground crews just staged a massive sit-down strike. Stopped that, cold, pretty much around this late-'40 time frame.
There're subtleties in these paint jobs that real geeks need to know about.

(--And I just erased about forty lines of those subtleties, realizing just in time that maybe YOU lot don't want to be that kind of geek! Ask me, if you like, but I won't presume...)

Bottom line, there's a lot of fun stuff to go search out if you get interested in the RLM paint jobs--not just the what, but the how and why are fascinating.
and then there's just making the darned card model, which is not one whit less noble a pursuit. What a great hobby.

'Duster