Thread: Design Tutorial
View Single Post

Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Time to give this puppy some oomph by adding engines.

Design Tutorial-engines-1.jpg
The engine nacelle is done almost exactly like the fuselage, with a twist (literally in this case, they angle downwards and inwards)

Use the circle tool to draw to draw the shapes, then drag them into place.

Design Tutorial-engines-2.jpg
Then loft.

Design Tutorial-engines-3.jpg
To make the engine and exhaust plates
Go to Surface> Planar Curves

Design Tutorial-engines-4.jpg
Select the surface edges of the first and last sections

Design Tutorial-engines-5.jpg
Press enter

Design Tutorial-engines-6.jpg
And Voila

Design Tutorial-engines-7.jpg
Put it on it's own layer.

Design Tutorial-engines-8.jpg
Now we're gonna make it fit on the wings. Usually I have engines slide over the wing, but in the case of this model, that wouldn't leave enough engine to be buildable. So, we're gonna cut the wings to butt up against the engine.
Press the trim button and select the engine and press enter.

Design Tutorial-engines-9.jpg
Then, turn the engine layer off by clicking on the little light bulb by it. and click on the inside edges of the wings. Now u have the wings trimmed to fit the engines.

Design Tutorial-engines-10.jpg
Now that we've severely weakened the wings by breaking them up, we're gonna need to add internal support. What I do is use the rectangle tool to draw a box over the top of the wings, then project from the top onto the wings.
Then turn off the wing layer to show the lines just projected (there will be ones on the top and bottom. simply loft between the lines to form a box. To make it square, rather than setting to 50 control points when lofting, click on "Do Not Simplify"

Design Tutorial-engines-11.jpg
Now, we need to mark the fuselage and engines where the wing box will go through them.
Turn the fuselage layer back on.

Design Tutorial-engines-12.jpg
Go to Curve> Curve from Objects> Intersection, then select the wing box and fuselage sections that intersect.
do the same for the engine, then mirror the engine, wing box and wing so they match on both sides.

Design Tutorial-engines-13.jpg
Voila

Almost done. We just need to draw the landing gear, add panel lines, and unroll everything.