View Single Post

Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I admit I am by no means an expert on the Sen-Toku class, much as I admire them, and the phenomenally good model you are producing, Fishcarver.

I recall reading that the crane was "collapsible to deck level", by which I took it to mean that the vertical pole ended up laying flat in the trough beneath the horizontal boom.
This would account for the apparent width of the trough in the very few deck photos of the Sen-Toku I have seen.
Mechanically, it would be easy to understand, if one considered that retractable bollards were in use, and thus an adaptation of the same mechanism, suitably strengthened, could be used with the crane. In such an arrangement, the vertical pole would have a partly hollowed-out base, into which the retracted "plugtube" would extend when the crane was set-up on deck. Sort of |[]| as it were. The [] would retract, allowing the crane pole to be lowered into the below-deck-surface trough.

I hope the description helps.

I very much admire this model, and have greatly enjoyed watching it being built.

Kind and Respectful Regards Fishcarver, Uyraell.