View Single Post

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
So, after some hours of work I can officially declare the first attempt of making the shroud was.. well, kind of a failure. And because I share my accomplished stuff with you, I also like to show you my wrong stuff, too. Lessons learned are good.
The start was promising. parts rearranged, so I had two genuine halves of the shroud structure instead of one complete half and one separated by a seam. The six parts were laminated with very thick green card and curved around a cylinder. Rubber bands kept the pieces shaped. It worked fine. The insides were then upholstered with the drywall mesh tape I previously used for the antenna dish of Ranger. Looked good, too. The assembly was where the trouble started. All pieces appeared to be curved in another way and didn't really fit together well. In fact they just did not fit. I tried some stuff, messed around with CA to get them to join at the edges but then they wouldn't do so in the middle.
I can conclude this comes down to my main problem as usual: thickness of paper. I can do something about that, of course.
The Soyuz spacecraft however showed the small marvel of the day for me: Alfonso's kit fits brilliantly inside Leo Cherkashyn's Soyuz shroud. The periscope even protrudes through the little hole under the outer hatch. Great measurements, gentlemen! And a deep bow for you and your skills.
For me it is back to the drawing board for the time being. Thinner paper is number one, getting the fit right is two. Hopefully next entry will show you more improvement. here are some pictures for you all to smile at.
-PK out.
If I were attempting to make this piece, I would construct the cylinders and cone segment as single pieces (complete with inner drywall tape lining) and join them together into a single completed piece, then cut the two halves apart along the shroud halves separation line... That would give the tightest fit and preserve the shape the best IMHO...

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your progress! GREAT build! OL JR