View Single Post

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCoatney View Post
Thanks again, Doug and everyone.

Jim, I am very leery of digitizing any of my plans except those that are already free on my www.coatneyhistory.com and Lou Coatney: Home Page webpages. Even with passwords, etc., it is just too easy for them to ... fly away ... :-) ... or for other designers to incorporate into other work.

The plans are for entire classes and would not be colored. The builders would have to paint/color them themselves for the individual ships. Actually, I've only painted a few: I really like seeing the lines on the light gray cardstock, but then I'm the designer. :-)

So theoretically from those 30 plans, you could make a couple hundred models of the historical ships.

1:700 is my personal target scale ... for wargaming ... I build *fighting* model ships ... :-) ... but they can be built at much larger scales for display or down to 1:1200. (See my thread about my prototypes to complement Airfix's 1:1200 Sink the Bismarck set.) I've even started a 1:1800 USS Wichita for Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures.

(As to miniature rules, I prefer my own, of course: Naval Action.)

What I'll be working on next is/are:

Fletcher class destroyers (1942 config.)

Sumner class destroyers - same hull (slightly wider) and stacks as Fletchers and even simpler superstructure)

Atlanta/Juneau class light cruisers - yes, I know they're widely available in 1:700 plastic, but they are one of my longtime favorite classes, and I lived in Juneau for 16 years.

Alaska class large cruisers

Converting my L&M and - another favorite - L/AA class British destroyers from manual to digital plans

Leander and Arethusa class light cruisers - since I've already got the turrets, etc., for the Sydney/Perth/Hobart class

More County class variants, although those waterline torpedo bulges of the early ships seem daunting

etc.

Note that China's Trumpeter now has BEAUTIFUL 1:700s of the Italian Vittorio Venetos, British Renown, Richelieu ... and is coming out with the reconstructed Queen Elizabeth/Valiant. (Why they did the World War 1 version first is a mystery.) And I am otherwise loathe to feed American dollars to the Chinese military machine.
You should definately release your models! Why not put them her ein the downloads? Sure, they could still possibly get out, but a much, much smaller chance of it! I'm really wanting many of these plans!