Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, I guess I'm not that much into birding except I do like birds and all the critters outdoors a lot and like to figure out what they are. I'm also afraid I'd end up with yet another time consuming and highly enjoyable hobby! Beyond hummingbird, sparrow, hawk, finch, etc. I'm pretty much lost for the identifications.

Except finally last week my wife and I figured out what kind of owls we have have in the backyard. We like to cook over the fire by the creek frequently and always hear owls. We just called them quiet owl and loud owl based on some of their calls. Turns out after listening to a bunch of calls at an owl website that we've got banded/hoot owls (loud owl) and great horned owls (quiet owl).

We also found out that quiet owl is actually really vicious, he eats banded owls and hawks amongst other things including scorpions, snakes, cats and small dogs. I hope he eats those copperheads that bit my dogs I've seen one of the banded owls a couple times across the creek and one afternoon he flew about 3 feet over my head while being chased by crows. I'll probably remember that 'til the day I die - incredible experience.

I do like owls, plus I like the He 219 Uhu a lot and even have a couple kits. Coincidence? I don't think so...