View Single Post

Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter

A couple of year’s ago, Jim Gausman designed a DGA [http://dgapapermodels.com] model of the DeHavilland Canada DHC-3 Otter.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/kit-announcements/7513-dhc-3-otter-model-released.html

I played a small role in putting him in touch with Army Aviation and Transportation Corps museum officials and veterans who flew Otters in Vietnam. I started to build the model, but failed to complete it.

Fortunately, Kevin Stephens and Mike Scalingi built superb renditions of the Otter, so that Jim’s model could debut at Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days in 2010.
DGA Army U-1A Otter
Part II: DGA Army U-1A Otter
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA

Last month, Jim contacted me and asked if I would try to build his latest version of the Otter, Tail Number O-53277, which flew as “Big Daddy 77” with the 54th Utility Airplane Company flying out of Vung Tau in Vietnam in 1969 as part of the 210th Combat Aviation Battalion, headquartered in Long Thanh and operating in the III and IV Corps Tactical Zones. This article includes a color image of a sister ship that shows the markings: http://www.1stavnbde.com/Artcles/54art1.html

Even though I have a lot of unfinished paper model projects underway, and this is a particularly busy period, I thought I otter do it.

So I printed the model out on Borden and Riley #237 Paris Bleedproof paper cut to A4 size and sprayed the sheets with UV Resistant Krylon.

Image 1, below, shows the parts. Jim provides an excellent set of photo instructions to guide the build.

Image 2 shows one of my few deviations from the instructions. I cut out extra copies of the fuselage formers to strengthen them. I also cut out an undersized propeller to serve as an inner layer that would allow me to squeeze the edges together and form an airfoil shape.

Image 3: One other deviation. I cut out the joining strips.

Images 4 and 5: Cutting out and layering the wheel parts.

Images 6, 7, and 8 show the prop under construction. Jim has made sure that one of the copyright notices and the scaling strip are exactly the right size to be cut out to form the prop hub and bushing. I inserted pieces of floral wire to give additional dimension. It didn’t work: the outline of the wires show, so I will be building a new prop (I’m trying to figure out how Kevin and Mike built their props so realistically).

Incidentally, I am using Thomas Meek's outstanding cutting board, which contains an inset rotating disk to facilitate cutting curves.

Image 9: The rear fuselage section under construction. The use of a clip to hold the forceps closed is a Golden Bear technique.

Image 10: So far, so good. However . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_001.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_002.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_003.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_004.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_005.jpg  

Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_006.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_007.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_008.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_009.jpg   Jim Gausman DGA 1/48 U.S. Army 54th UAC U-1A Otter-u-1a_010.jpg  

Last edited by Texman; 08-21-2012 at 09:36 AM.