Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 12-05-2008, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Ashrunner, I did not take the photo of the redwinged blackbird. I saw it in the magazine and found the photo on the NWF website.

A few years ago a mockingbird would always show up when I mowed the lawn. I would start the lawnmower up and within 10 minutes the mockingbird would be perched high on a wire watching. When some insects would be disturbed by the mower passing, the bird would swoop down and grab a tasty snack. I kept waiting for the bird to perch on the bill of my ball cap, but it never did. It just hung out on the wire each time. That went on for a few years, then stopped.

I have seen a hawk take a small bird three times in my backyard. All of the small birds would hang out waiting to eat at the birdfeeders. The hawk would hang out waiting to eat one of the birds. The first time the hawk took a bird was very startling. Just as I stepped off of the patio out back I caught a quick movement out of the corner of my eye to the right with lots of noise. The hawk had swooped down into some of the bushes and tall shrubs and took the bird then flew up into a nearby tree to feed. Purty neet for me, but maybe not so neat for the small bird. The other two times were basically the same, quick movement, loud noise, hawk eating the bird.

There is always a large herd of sparrows hanging out around the house. I have trees and bushes and tall shrubs that provide natural food and hiding places. You can tell when a hawk is around when you go outside because the sounds the birds usually make changes significantly. Instead of the loud and frequent chirps there is a kind of timid occasional cheep. When you hear that, look up in the trees and yep, there the hawk would be, perched high and looking around for some fast food.