View Single Post

Old 04-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
re: testing the tagboard

The tagboard is labeled 'heavyweight', which is about 100lb variety. Both sides were slightly rough and rougher than typical card stock. At 9 inches wide I had to trim off 1/2 inch. The length of 12 inches is awkward, as my graphics program has several default paper sizes, and none at 8.5 x 12 inches. I chose the Legal setting and also checked the image size to insure it was about 11.5 or less inches. As a result I had to trim the image border width to as close to the parts as I could get. That worked for all pages.

My images were done to fit Legal size so are typically 13 inches long. Adding a paper strip wouldn't help, as printing would spill over the seam line.

The printing was ok, but my old printer isn't happy with such thick paper and doesn't have an adjustment for thickness.

This tagboard would be fine for images in A4 paper size.

So, 9 x 12 tagboard is a substitute for the now hard to find Legal card stock when you only need an additional 1/2 inch. I didn't see anything like 'medium weight', but that would certainly be a better thickness for 1:50 and smaller scale models.

The Tagboard from Hobby Lobby was $9 for 100 sheets. I haven't compared prices, which I will do, but it may be cheaper to buy the 11x17 inch card stock and trim that to Legal or A4 size. The slab from Staples is 80lb weight. I'll have to go back and check the price, as I forgot it. It's been a long week [grin].

Going to 'the city' to find Legal size card stock at a paper supplier was a good suggestion, but it would have to be in conjunction with other reasons to make the trip, as spending over $30 on gas to buy some paper isn't exactly economical.

Later,

- Erik