Thread: "birding" fun
View Single Post

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Hmm, memorable bird experiences.
I watched a small falcon (was pre-internet, so I didn't really get to identify it) hit a dove about 10 feet away from me through a window. Was my dad's backyard and I was sitting in front of the TV watching football. There were large windows close by and I heard a dove fly into one. He was faster than the dove still sitting in the melting snow on the deck. The bird hit, stopped and adjusted the dove in it's claws and then took off. Went out and there were perfect wing prints in the soft snow.

Canoeing down the Au Sable and had a golden eagle with a minimum 7 foot wing span fly over not 8 feet from our heads - riding the river below tree tops.

And last summer, I was at Grand Lake on a jet ski - and we found a bald eagle sitting up in a tree. As I rode over as close as we could get to it, it was sitting in the 'classic' pose with the light shining just right to get a perfect profile. Gorgeous bird, saw it from about 50-60 feet - couldn't get closer and didn't have my camera on the lake so no pictures, but cool to see one in the wild.

Last one is odd. I saw a parrot on my tree in the back yard, in Michigan. Obviously an escaped pet.