View Single Post

Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Ann Mckim 1/96 scratch

I've been thinking of trying this vessel for some time. There are many attractive features of this merchant ship from 1832 design. The plans are in Chappelle's "Search for Speed under Sail" indeed the design of this ship was revolutionary and ahead of it's time, even though was 20 years before the true Clipper ship era. She was small, though, and even though fast could not carry enough cargo to make a huge impact on the use of the slower Packet ships. Since other developments later led to the larger, just as fast cargo carriers of size such as the well known designs of Isaac Webb and Donald Mckay, that the Ann was relagated to being classified as a large Baltimore clipper type which had been already in existance for quite a long time as small fast sailers for local use. No matter, it was a beautiful ship no doubt and famous for her speed during her years of use. My plan is to scale the plans from Chappelle accepted as
accurate by Chapelle how can I argue? I have found two models that seem accurate for the time and will refer to them for some reference material...hopefully this will actually come about..