View Single Post

Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
Well Don, wait no longer!

First I start by dry fittinng the cockpit and looking things over. I discover a very tight fit - too perfect. So I sandpaper the cockpit sides a bit to give a little room. I believe the tight fit is because this is 1/72 scale. I bet at the original 1/48 scale it would fit like a glove.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-26.jpg
But no worries. I decide I need to close out the fuselage around the cockpit first. Since I have a tight fit, I'll thin out where I'll apply a cardstock splice (by the way I'm using 65-lb cardstock) then glue to one side.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-27.jpg Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-28.jpg
It's an easy glue up. Then I use a piece of regular paper on the rear cockpit as a splice and use fine tweezers to help position the small fuselage sections to close out the fuselage.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-29.jpg
Now I stuff, and I do mean stuff, the cockpit into the fuselage. I have to really apply a bit of force and work it with some tooling to position it correctly. I do this dry - it would be impossible with glue because of too much friction and the setting of the glue wouldn't give enough time to work. Once pressed into place, I first glue the inside front top secure, then the back, then the sides. I use a pin tool to work the glue between the dry surfaces letting capillary action draw the glue into the joint, and the pin to push some glue in. Then I use a smooth surface tool to work the sides while the glue dries. Then I add some tabs to go between the fuselage front sides and the cockpit front sides, by applying glue to both sides of the tab and slide it in. Then I add the rest of the tabs needed for when I add the front fuselage.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-30.jpg Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-31.jpg Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-32.jpg
I think it came out okay. The designer did good.
Next time I'll add the front fuselage.