View Single Post

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
[you didn't think I wouldn't write a novel about this...did you?]

Although I question whether the Rose DC 3 is worth $175, it does have "collectible" value as an original Book rarity.
And for this reason it is of value to a certain type of collector.

A seller is entitled to ask any price they want for an item, without criticism
...but in the end the item will only be worth what someone is willing to pay.

However, high listing prices usually result in a false precedent and others follow suit expecting
to sell their items for higher prices. For this reason it is unfair for a respectable seller to overprice
his item just to make a buck.
(The ebay DC-3 model in question appears to have been purchased a few months back, on ebay,
solely for the purpose of reselling and making a profit. If I remember correctly he paid in the area of $90 for it.)

I would hope that all potential buyers will refrain from purchasing the item at such an inflated cost
to avoid establishing any further value precedent (regardless of how badly they want the item!).

I have an original Blade Runner theater issued Movie poster.
The original used and folded one sheets were rare and sought after and by the mid 90s were fetching prices approaching $800.
However, once ebay came along, the values became drastically over inflated...prices soared to well over $1000.
Many fakes and later issued posters were being offered and this confused and misled uneducated buyers.
Eventually the market soured as a result of ebay sales and now the posters are virtually worthless.
I could have sold my poster for some ridiculous price back then(and I am glad I didn't), but now I tried listing it at $180
and got zero interest.

Underpricing an item is just as important an issue in my opinion.
The only problem I see with offering a really cheap digital model on eBay, is it undermines other
legitimate sellers selling the same related products. This is just my feeling, but as a designer and seller
of models, I hate to see someone sell their item for less than what its worth, just to undercut me.

Comparing the selling (and piracy) of digitally available models to printed ones is unfair.
Piracy of printed models is a matter for the original owner/designer of the model, the original
publisher of the model, the copyright holder(s) of the printed matter ...and of ebay.

Unfortunately eBay doesn't care.
Ebay relies on their flawed VeRO group who respond only to large and influential copyright holders.
They are quick to shut down "smalltime" sellers but usually without proper investigation.
This works well in our favor (as protectors of modellers rights), but not very well for those selling in good faith.

And eBay doesn't respond well to the average buyers complaints.
(I just recently purchased a software item on ebay, listed as "BRAND NEW" right in the listing title.
After I received the item and tried to install (and register the software) I was notified that the program had already been registered to another client.
Based on the information I have, I can only conclude this is repackaged software of some sort.
After a lot of trouble and cost on my part, this "Ebay Power" seller still sells his wares, is still selling this particular item,
and ebay/paypal refused to issue me a full refund.)

I think its up to outside users, to constantly monitor sales on "evilbay"...look for piracy or property infringements...and then report
the offences to ebay demanding the removal of the listings. We should also band together to report any seller (en masse)
who is acting fraudulently or infringing on our copyrights. With enough constant pressure eBay may act and remove such sellers completely.

Last edited by airdave; 04-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.