View Single Post

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Have been studying the work of some wood ship builds, am interested in trying to copper the hull. Since no expense in this so far, using supplies I had already about the shop, home, so I splurged and bought some copper foil tape used by the wood builders for coppering, from Bluejacket Shipcrafters. Now to figure out how to use it...the waterline needs marked on hull, to do this made a cradle that holds the hull pretty straight, and with a pencil on a block of wood resting the whole on a smooth flat table, went round and marked the waterline. The copper is applied in 3 separate rows that trim at the top, and most start at the rear and overlap slightly the next plate. The lowest row, to the "gore line" and the middle row, then a top trim row. Many apply rivet patterns to the copper, but I think not true to scale in 1/96, so not planning to do so. Some wood builders feel that is the case also for 1/64. The top row can be just one or two plates wide, the others can be in scale 8-12 plates thick. I probably wont be using quite to scale as I don't think I can cut the tape that thin is 1/4 inch already.