View Single Post

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
Starting the engine now.

The engine block is one part, folded and wrapped around. When I don't want a 90-deg bend to cause a crack in the color, I usually sand the fold line to remove material, making it thinner. I'll do that here.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-72.jpg
Then I need to curve the ends and bend the block together. I also will add a curved splice to make it easier to assemble. Also shown is the engine build bulkhead. When the engine block is fully built, I perfectly flatten the bottom it by running it over an emery board.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-73.jpgHalberstadt Cl.IV-halb-74.jpg
Next there is to top of the block to add to finish the basic block.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-75.jpgHalberstadt Cl.IV-halb-76.jpg
There is a build bulkhead that should be placed just forward of the cockpit, and the engine block bulkhead attaches to it. In truth, the cockpit is so phenominally strong and fixes the fuselage shape, that I don't think the fuselage bulkhead is really needed - so I won't use it. But I still need to attach the engine block bulkhead to something. By looking things over, I think I can easily attach the engine bulkhead to the cockpit at the interior shelf created near the top (see an earlier picture of the completed cockpit). But to do this I need to extend the engine bulkhead to catch this shelf. Here is what it looks like, and I'll have to fit it as needed later.
Halberstadt Cl.IV-halb-82.jpg

More tomorrow. . .