Thread: Little Boy
View Single Post

Old 04-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 942.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
If one would want to do everything from paper those antennas could be fabricated from cigarette paper, just cut a narrow slice (depending the thickness your aiming) and roll it between your fingers. Diluted PVA stiffens it enough for handling, glueing and painting.

Tappi
Tappi, as You can see, I just completed the Yagi antennas using 0,5 mm copper wire, and it was an endeavour for my crude fingers, but if someone prefers to use cigarette paper, he can use the template and build them.

Now the Yagi antennas are complete, and, for not to damage them when i handle the model, i will mount them later on the bomb.

I found interesting information about the radar used both on Little Boy and Fat Man bombs on the site "Atomic patents" where You can find a brief description of the Patent Number: 2,452,073, related to "a small directional antennae to be put on the tail wing of an airplane in order to warn the pilot if an enemy silently slips in behind him".
More information and images are available at "United States Patent and Trademark Office", where You can see the schema of a vertical tail plan with the antennae.

Little Boy-patents2.jpgLittle Boy-patents3.pngLittle Boy-patents.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conqueror_Worm View Post
Looking good, so much detail! I suppose you will be adding the arming plugs and the nose nut?
Thanks for sharing those other pictures, there were some I haven't seen either.
If you are planing to make a fat man bomb in the future there is a blueprint here you might find useful-
https://www.lanl.gov/history/admin/f...R-08-06288.jpg
Taken from this site-
https://www.lanl.gov/history/images.php
Thanks Conqueror for the links, but I just used the picture that you indicate to me for to design my crude Fat-Man,

Little Boy-fm00.jpg

and "Yes" I will add bolts, nuts, arming or safe plugs, etc., like I did in my prototype, as you can see in the previous posts in this thread.

Best, Nando
Fat Man & Little Boy available here