View Single Post

Old 04-29-2012, 02:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
I've been a bit lax in posting some more SD14. NYC irishman thanks how is you sd14 build going.
Thanks Jim and Don the structure is incredible. Not so much text this time the first picture is a follow on from the last the last post but looking at the show from the bow's .

forward main deck in place

forecastle deck in place and deck plates being made along the outside of the midsection.

close-up view of the forecastle.

looking towards the stern.

Main deck plates complete this picture shows the stern.

we now move on to applying the hull plates as I started laying the deck from the bow's to the stern I started plateing the hull from stern to bow. The bilge plates were applied first as they overlap the bottom plates. The side plates then all lie flush with each other.the picture shows the start of the plating around the propeller. I have lost some of my pictures of this part of the build I hadn't realised that the camera numbers had gone back to 0.

the hull plating on the midsection above the bilge plates was made up of two single pieces shown in the next two pictures, I did the midsection after the bit of stern plating shown in the two previous pictures. As I decided it was easier to fit the smaller plates used at the bow and stern to the larger midsection plates.you can see the smaller plates of the bow section in the first picture below.

this next picture is a bit blurry but shows the plates been applied to the port side of the bow. Glueing the hull plates on used a lot of 2 inch wide masking tape.also see in this picture on the naval tubes that take the anchor chain through to the side of the ship I have left them overlong so I can fit the plates around them and trim them flush before fitting the doubling plate around the hole.

The final picture is looking straight on at the bow.