Thread: printer help...
View Single Post

Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.12 MB
Nik, one advantage to many Epson printers is the straight through paper path. HP typically uses a 'reverse loop' path that seems to (these days, anyway, what with their cheap roller mechanisms) wear quickly and start jamming (as you've experienced.) I have an Epson Stylus 1400 inkjet printer that replaced my last HP all-in-one printer (look at my thread that shows my path to enlightenment (and source for ink supplies!): Just threw my HP All-in-One into the backyard

I actually purchased a CIS system but then also, upon Zathros advice, purchased a refillable cartridge system that I have been using (the CIS awaits its day in the sun...) since it was easier to implement. I did have an issue with my 1400 when my wife attempted to service it but did so without reading the instructions and caused the print matrix to become 'plugged', for lack of a better word. Epson sent me a replacement within a few days (since it was still under warranty) and although I was almost able to repair the ailing printer, it still did not perform up to par, so I still have just the one. As a wide format printer (up to 13" wide paper), I have found it very useful for printing model designs as I need.

So, to recap, I recommend Epson as good quality, reliable printers, of reasonable price and availability and much less headache (and software footprint, too!) than HP. New HP just is not the same as 'old' HP, and by old, I mean ten or more years ago (at work, I have an old HP laser printer that still runs great - a LaserJet P5 - but is due to be replaced because our supply folks have trouble getting cartridges for it now.)

Hope this helps!
Nobi Junkers SRF BETA build - BETA Build: Nobi's Junkers SRF 1:48 scale