View Single Post

Old 05-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Not much to show progress wise except some pots getting fuller.

But I will have quite a lot of one mill rivets. From all the holes i have being cutting out. have used a Japanese book Punch to do the holes and I've made up a set of punches to go with it

on Saturday I went and looked through the Wiltshire Yeomanry archive looking at pictures from the Second World War to see what names they used on their tanks they were usually named after Wiltshire towns and pubs. There was not one named after my local town devizes but there was one named Moonrakers,named after some smugglers who fooled excise men by claiming that they were raking out a cheese from a local pond which was in fact the reflection of the full moon, the excise men went away believing in the legend that the locals were a bit dim. Once they were gone and the coast was clear they raked out the barrels of contraband from the pond. So this is what I will put on the side of my tank, the following pictures are of a standard 75 mil Sherman, from when the regiment was re-equipped after Alamein and they were posted to Syria and cleared the Vichy French out from Syria and Iran joining the Russians in Tehran. Before moving on to Italy before returning back to England understrength as half the regiment had served the four and half years.

Wiltshire Yeomanry first went out to North Africa as a fully mounted cavalry Regiment, they then got mechanised with lorries as Searchlight units before getting their tanks, they formed a principal role as past the ninth armoured Brigade in punching a hole through the German anti-tank lines and helping to hold off a German tank counter-attack, that then led to the German rout. The Wiltshire Yeomanry were left with four working tanks.here's another tank named after village near me.

I took a photo of these two pictures out of interest.

not sure what this second one is of some German tank destroyer?

Last edited by romanmodels; 05-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.