Thread: Design Tutorial
View Single Post

Old 05-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Not a pictural way to finish the tutorial, but since I just typed this up to answer another question, I thought I'd put it here:

I use the "Project" command to make panel lines.

Use the view that shows the lines best (top, front, or side), and trace over them using the polyline command,

Select the lines, then type project. When it says "Select objects to project on to", select the surface you want the line to appear on, and press enter.

To unroll, you have 2 options (or 3, depending on your version of Rhino.) Unroll developable surfaces, and Smash.

I usually start with the Unroll command. If that doesn't work, or I get angry and turn green, then I use Smash.

With Unroll, you select the surface you want unrolled, then select any lines on the surface. If all works out, you'll have a flattened surface with all the panel lines in place. Rinse and repeat for every part. (That's why I keep my models simple...you have to unroll every single piece.)

If you have a complex curved survace (double curves), you'll have to Smash it.

Select the object, and type smash. Sometimes it helps to say "Hulk Smash" while doing so. You'll get an option to select natural, U, or V. I don't know enough to explain which one to use, I generally experiment with each one until I get it right. Then select the panel lines you want included on the flattened part, press enter, and hang on for the ride.

After you get everything flattened, sort and organize to your preferred preferences (I try to keep components grouped together; i.e. fuselage, wings, engines, landing gear, etc, and orient them so any rolled parts roll horizontally).

After that comes exporting to your graphics program of choice.

Here's how I export:

once you get everything unrolled and arranged (I try to get everything arranged vertically so it goes with the grain of the paper), select it, then click on: file>export selected

Type in an easy to remember name, select the destination folder, and choose a file type supported by your graphics program, and press enter.

Next will be a menu to pick the export size. What I do is decide how many sections I want to break the fuselage into, and assume a length of 9 inches for each section. Say I want 2 sections, I type in a height of 18 inches. For the width, I pick a size that makes the selected objects fill the screen, with small gaps along the edges.

I use Photoshop. Rhino doesn't export in a format that Photoshop supports, so I had to come up with a workaround: 1: export as a .wmf, 2: Open the .wmf in Inkscape. Save the opened file as a .pdf, 3: Open the new .pdf in Photoshop

You'll probably have to resize a bit in your graphics program to get everything to fit properly.