View Single Post

Old 06-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz

hi my friends,
I have been making slow progress on the Essex. Its a biggie.
I am adding a second vertical for stiffening as I always have the problem of building in twist, especially on a model of this size and any twist is so obvious on a carrier deck.
The sides eventually provide the torsional stiffness but my problem is to keep the frame true while attaching them. A chicken/egg problem.

I tried out this method on Roman's Fletcher model which is still in progress but didn't post it so as to not step on GMintz's excellent build thread. The first 6 photos show the Fletcher. It is now closed in and adding deck details.

The two verticals, the waterline, the bulkheads and the deck form a line of closed boxes which is a torsion beam The Fletcher deck was attached while the frame was still screwed down to my flat surface (an old door frame tread) and it came out torsionally very stiff. The sides went on very easily and came it out straight.

The last 6 photos show the Essex which is still on the "ways" but I am hoping for success there too. I will glue the frame to the deck inverted with weights to keep it flat. This works for a carrier due to the flat deck but not for a destroyer with its shear. First I have to place the small parts on the bow and stern as they will be under the deck overhang.
regards Jim Bean
Attached Thumbnails
USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0305.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0306.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0307.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0308_1.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0309_1.jpg  

USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0310_1.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0339.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0340.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0341.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0342.jpg  

USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0343.jpg   USS Essex 1:300 Maly Modelarz-dscf0344.jpg