View Single Post

Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Just looked on the Internet (Pacificwrecks.com) too and found this:

Kavieng (150.793E 2.58S), located at the northwestern tip of New Ireland in the Bismarcks, had a protected anchorage that might have played an important role in the war if it had not been overshadowed by the great fortress at nearby Rabaul. The anchorage is handicapped by strong tidal currents and numerous shoals. Nonetheless, the Japanese occasionally used it as an alternate anchorage to Rabaul. At the outbreak of war, the facilities were barely adequate to load copra from nearby coconut plantations. However, New Ireland had the only all-weather road of any length in the Bismarcks, which ran along the entire northeast coast of the island and had a spur to a ferry landing on the southwest coast of the island across from Rabaul.

Sounded a little strange to me too (North of Ireland )
I also researched the net a bit about Kamikawa Maru and found the following, maybe of interest to you Jake:
M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - G a l l e r y

John.

PS: Following "The Imperial Japanese Navy" by Watts and Gorden she was sunk on May 28th, 1943, but that doesn't change anything to the fact what a beautiful project this, and I'm looking forward to the end result !!

John.
Attached Thumbnails
[Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kami.jpg   [Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawamaru.jpg   [Relacja] IJN Kamikawa Maru (Scratch build))-kamikawa-maru-drawing.gif  

Last edited by JohnMGD; 06-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.