View Single Post

Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"

Hi!
while I'm still waiting to post "official pics" of my last model, I thought it could have been a good thing to introduce you my next project, even if I showed here at least one pic about it. ok, where're talking about a WIP and, this time, this model will be free and available in the downloading section, with an instruction sheet (pdf) the most precise and accurate I'll be able to make so don't be too harsh! well, please, don't be too harsh about all this work, because it's my first "official kit", meaning that there could be other brave guys building this ship apart from me, so all my efforts are in order to make something as clearer as possible to build.
I daresay that at least 80% of the model is done by now, anyway be patient oh, yeah: there's one last big issue to solve and I hope to find a smart solution ASAP.
I'd love to state here some considerations made in the begininng of this adventure:

1- about A-Wing "real dimensions" => ok, official lenght is 9.6 m... and we all agree that this is completely nonsense! the web is full of nerd discussions about dimensions with plenty of speculations, movie screenshots, blueprints and whatever, AND what boils down is that, basing every idea on the movie prop (and the pilot's head diameter), a "real" A-Wing would be less than 5 m long... ok, don't know what you think, but I'd never, NEVER, sit my butt in something a little bigger than a sardine box and fly it through outer space ... I remember some posts here on the forum about ILM lack of verisimilitude and different ideas as for sticking to original movie props or trying to give the model a distinct "taste", more reliable, so that's my point of view: I want it to be believable! Mr. Imcold and me had some discussions about this problem and we decided for a lenght of 8.75 m, which is considerably bigger that a tin of tuna but, at the same time, less than 9.6 m that appeared to us to be too much. another point in favour of 8.75 m is that my intention was to make this model in the same scale of Imcold X-Wing, in order to have the possibility to make a diorama or simply a composition; being his X-Wing more or less 27.5 cm (12.5 m) in lenght, a 10-11 cm A-Wing would have been too small and impossible to build with all the amount of details I'm filling it! another thing is that even the disgusting vintage ERTL A-Wing plastic kit contains a pilot smaller than the movie prop one, sustaining the idea that less that 5 m isn't so good, and even mighty Ralph McQuarrie sketch shows a wonderful A-Wing prototype bigger than 5 m, very near to 8.75 m. the last motivation is that I've ever wanted a trustworthy A-Wing model and found only plastic garbage in my life, so now is my turn to make it as I want it to be this A-Wing will be 19,5 cm long, more or less.
ok, sorry to have been so tedious with all this useless stuff, but at least you know why I chose this scale.

2- texture => I'm a total jerk in this field! Imcold offered his help to make them for you, but this was a long time ago and I have to check his willingness again in case, whoever eager for this task is welcome. as always, I invite you to build it and paint it, because in the end you'll see this will be easier than building it with textures.

3- paper => only 80 gr (paper-sheets) and 160 gr (card-sheets) needed; card board of 0.5 mm (not much) and 1 mm.

in the pics: a humble rendering (sorry!- the model still needs other work) and colours variations.
hope you like!
Attached Thumbnails
Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev1.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev2.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev3.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev4.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev5.jpg  

Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev6.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-wing-prev7.jpg   Star Wars RZ-1 "A-Wing"-mixcolours.jpg