View Single Post

Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 53.52 MB
Union-class Dropship (Battletech) 1:1000 scale

I am a man of a 1,000,000 projects, so no guarantees on when this one will finish. However, I've taken a fancy to the idea of making a game-scale Battletech dropship. There is already a good paper model of the Overlord dropship available here. However, I'd like to try my hand at the smaller of the two ubiquitous Battletech dropships, the Union-Class. My guide is taken from two key pictures, shown below from Sarna.net:

I have started with the landing gear. It is not my intent to make a full interior (at 1:1000 scale, this will only be about 4" in diameter), although I may include interior elements that would be visible from open doors/hatches to allow modeling in various states. To this end I've tried to make a landing gear mechanism that both matches the visual evidence, practicality and will show near interior elements when deployed.

I should note, I am not a mechanical engineer, or an engineer at all in fact. I tried to make a design that would work from a deployment, mechanical motion consideration, while still matching the interior/exterior evidence in the pictures. To me this is seems like an awkward way to have the landing legs mounted, but I'm not the designer, just the interpreter.

That said, I have no objection to constructive feedback. Until I start texturing nothing is set in stone as far as the design goes.

Thank you,
Tirick