View Single Post

Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Follow-up: After considerable time comparing customer comments, especially the bad ratings, I finally got a Kindle Touch. The Nook may have a slight technical edge at the moment, and I very much liked the lighted screen. But there were waiting lists, as suppliers couldn't make them fast enough. Perhaps more importantly, it appears that Amazon's post-sale support is much better than B&N's.

It's early days, so am still exploring all the features. But it's already clear that whatever eReader you obtain, there are far more free eBooks available than you'll have time to read -- and not just from B&N or Amazon -- there are several additional website sources. 1923 seems to be a key date -- just about all earlier copyrights have expired. Among other ideas, I hope this leads to electronic reprints of the WWI novels of Elliot White Springs -- who really was a US pilot in that war.

There's an odd parallel to paper models -- it's easy to spend more time on line searching for models/eBooks than you do building or reading. And so far, I've restricted myself to the free stuff. Some modern books cost more as eBooks than they do as paperbacks, but vast numbers of eBooks are available for $5 or less. I'll never forsake printed books completely, but I am having a great time with the Kindle.

Y.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.