View Single Post

Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
"Over the Beach" is on the street

After six years of research and writing, my latest book, Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War, has been published by the Combat Studies Institute Press. It also became available today as a free downloadable pdf at the CSI Press website: http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/bosse.pdf

There are a number of connections between members of this Forum and the book.

JimR read much of the manuscript.

Padre, who served aboard LSMR 536 (USS White River) during the Vietnam War, helped me get permission from the USS LSM/LSMR Association to use a photo of his ship to illustrate that class of warships. You can see the photo on page 427.

Footnote 42 on page 353 refers to a small-scale amphibious operation that I participated in during the Vietnam War, when I was advisor to a Vietnamese infantry battalion. Jim Nunn was aboard a river patrol boat providing security on our flank as we headed for the beach in the spring of 1967.

During the research phase, Shrike tracked down photos and information on the British hospital ship RFA Maine.

I got a lot of information about the landing craft, tank (LCTs) from Tim Perry’s (Wun Wing Low) “Kipper Boxes” web site. Ollie Bizer’s amphibious models and those of TexMan's PaperTigerArmaments and others were inspirational.

I received encouragement and good words from rickstef (always on the look out for new amphibious models for me), birder, Shrike, barry, Ashrunner, cjwalas, DrBill, dansls1, Kevin Stephens, and others.

And, as I say in my acknowledgements, my wife, Lil (who is a low-key member of the Forum) “assisted in the research, tracked down the history of every LST that ever landed on a Korean beach, proofread the pages, and provided the love and encouragement that have sustained me through the years of research and writing.”

Don Boose