View Single Post

Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 357.33 MB
Some Progress...

Thanks, Jeff!

The next installment follows:

As could be expected, the next phase of the work was to glue the hull spine (as it is called in the instructions) to a thin cardboard backing. I didn't wan't it to be too thick (nor the backing of the bulkhead formers) so I used card that is just under 0,5mm, making the finished parts about 0,5mm in thickness.

It's really good to work on this marble board, and easy to align everything perfectly. I let it dry between two plastic rulers, which I fixed in place with the clamps in the background. The result was completely straight. I also added backing to all the bulkhead formers, and as you can see, I have added tabs ('feet'!) to the bottom, to add structural strength and, hopefully, to avoid twisting or bending of the finished hull:

After a break (and a meal), all the glued parts had dried and the outer contours could be cut, with a pair of sharp Fiskars scissors and a knife (except to top line, which I adjust inwards as I go - it's easier to cut away material than to add!). There are not many straight lines - even the lines that look straight are very gently curved (as it should be on a ship). I then started cutting out the narrow tracks (or slits) for the 90° joining of the parts and that took some time - to make two exactly parallel cuts within a space of 0,5mm is quite challenging, to say the least! However, working slowly, I made some progress and this is the result: (this photo is again in b&w, because the colors go kaputt when the last daylight is gone - I get BOTH magenta and green, which is impossible to correct. I obviously have to get another working lamp later on):

All the best for now - good night from Sweden!
Bengt